Thanks to My Readers and Social Media Connections

by Nancy Wurtzel on April 4, 2012

The feedback on my recent post about dementia, What Makes Me Angry? Dementia., was truly heartwarming.  Quite a few of my friends called and emailed, while others posted on my Facebook page or retweeted the story to their followers.  Thanks to LinkedIn and a few other social media sites, hundreds of new readers visited Dating Dementia to read my post and many left comments.

Personally, the response made me feel less alone.  However, I realized my isolation was lessened because so many others have gone through or are going through similar experiences with their family members. So the big response is what people in the Midwest call a “mixed blessing.”

Still, it helps to write about my experiences with dementia.

Strong reaction to this post also pointed out the importance and power of social media. I’m active on most of the big social media platforms and love connecting with others — on a very wide range of topics — which helps me keep my sanity and perspective.

An avid reader, I recently joined Goodreads, and feel a bit “late to the party,” since most of my reader friends have been active on that site for years.  I blanketed everyone with Goodread friend requests and dozens of you have responded.  Another site to make connections!

Social media has become a lifeline, especially since I moved back to my rural hometown.  Online, I learn something new every day, have a platform for venting my feelings and interact with a diverse group of people who enrich my life.

Thanks to everyone for reaching out and making a difference.

*Image courtesy of www.onbile.com

Johnny May 9, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Social media has become such a great way to get in contact, and stay in contact with people. It’s much more convenient to just check your feed, or read a few tweets then calling people.

Nancy Wurtzel May 9, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Yup, I agree!

Olya Thompson April 13, 2012 at 9:38 am

Your lovely post about the reaction to your blog-post is indeed heart-warming. I am pleased to have been involved in this discussion. I do indeed wish I could have fixed those typos, but did not know how as the internet is such an instant medium, and I am not used to “instant” posts that do now allow for correction. They are not typical of my writing. I will fix at least the name of my website http://www.olyathompson.com and am looking forward to following your blog!

Nancy Wurtzel April 13, 2012 at 9:42 am

Hi, Thanks for coming back to read and for the comment. I’ll see if I can go in and correct your website. I think an apostrophe was added at the end and that caused the link to not be live. Not a problem! All the best and do tell your friends about Dating Dementia!

Nancy Wurtzel April 13, 2012 at 9:46 am

I made some quick edits of the minor typos and the blog address in your original response. It allows me to do that, but not the user. Don’t worry at all…it happens to all of us as we are all so busy and inundated with information. I’m just glad we have connected! All the best, Nancy

Tammy April 11, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Woo Hoo! I made the blog roll! Now THAT is awesome. So looking forward to meeting you in June. I have some travel slated but you will be here long enough that we will surely catch each other for a wonderful get-to-know each other meal. Excited! By the way, my idea of hiking is parking far away from the mall entrance. How about you go, I watch, and you report to me later?

Nancy Wurtzel April 11, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Ha! No prob on the hiking…sharing a meal (and wine?) sounds better, anyway.

Tammy April 11, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Hi Nancy, I have been blessed to have little experience with dementia. I can only imagine. But I do agree with you that social media can offer a lot in the way of support. I have found that my use of Twitter has been a great boost to my blog. I too am late to the GoodReads party. Am just now getting into Pinterest. All good things. I have been invited by over 500 peeps on my FB page to join their Branchout and have resisted thus far. How many social media sites is enough?! My answer: one more than what I currently have. Thanks for sharing, as always, a good read!

Nancy Wurtzel April 11, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Thanks…can’t wait to meet in person in June. I have a place booked for house sitting in Thousand Oaks, June 8th -16th, so we’ll have to do a lunch and maybe a hike. I’ll also be in Woodland Hills late in June for a week! Oh, I just added you to my blogroll. Don’t know what took me so long. I owe you a big shout-out on a blog post, too. Stay tuned!

Olya Thompson April 4, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Hi Nancy,
I am so pleased to have been involved in your discussion, and have derived much benefit form it. Thank you for your openness and courage in sharing your feelings, which struck an open chord with so many others.
I write a lot about feelings and would like invite you to sign in and share in my blog at http://www.olyathomposn.com
I will sign in to follow yours.
All the best,
olya thompson

Nancy Wurtzel April 4, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Thanks so much, Olya. I’ll be sure to check out your blog!

Olya Thompson April 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Hi Nancy,
I am so pleased to have been involved in your discussion, and have all have derivied much benefit form it. Thank you for your openness and courage in sharing your feelings, which struck an open chord with so many others.
I write alot about feelings and wuld like invite you to sign in and share in my blog at http://www.olyathomposn.com
I will sign in to follow yours.
All the best,
olya thompson

Olya Thompson April 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I am so pleased to have been involved in your discussion, and have all have derivied much benefit form it. Than you for your openness and courage in sharing your feelings, which struck an open chord with so many others.
I will sign in to follow yours.
All the best,