What the Birds Don’t Know

by Nancy Wurtzel on May 2, 2012

News from Little House on the Prairie: Nature is noisy.

Yesterday was my day to sleep in.  But just as the sun was coming up over the Minnesota horizon, I  was awakened by a cacophony of noise.

I’d left the window open the night before, since it was extremely hot and muggy after a big storm.  Big mistake. The birds were awake and they were showing off.

Chirping, cawing, calling, my feathered friends were singing their little beaks off and intent on outdoing each other.  Their melodious performance would certainly have been appreciated under different circumstances, but not when all I wanted was to wallow in slumber-land.

Closing the window and smashing a pillow over my ears, I was relieved that the vocal gymnastics were muffled.  However, the quiet lasted only a few minutes.  Then, a trio of Meadowlarks launched into what I swear sounded like a staggered rendition of “Good Day Sunshine.”  I thought I could even detect some crows providing a solid base undertone and what was certainly dozens of small birds singing vocal back-up.

It was a wall of sound.

By this time, I was wide awake.  The birds had triumphed and the score was: Nature 1. Nancy 0.

Oh, not so fast, birds most foul.

The native winged creatures don’t know I’m packing sound.

That’s right.  I brought my California sound machine with me when I moved back to Minnesota last fall. Said machine has a soothing “singing bird” setting and is guaranteed to lull me to sleep and drown out the other noises.  Plus, the sound machine has new AAA batteries and can outlast even the brassiest winged warblers.

Bring it on birdies.  It’s going to be a long summer.

Marcia Barhydt May 4, 2012 at 7:14 am

In my last house, built in 1912, there was ivy all over the outside wall on one side and it was home to lots and lots of small wrens.

Each morning, they’d start chattering to each other. It was the most wonderful sound in the world. It was like there was a part of Mother Nature coming into my bedroom through the window!

Tracy May 3, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Ha! I enjoyed this post (love the photo). I love to hear the birds sing–it’s the squawking and crowing that makes run for the hills! ;)

DarleneMAM May 3, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I almost forgot to tell you! I nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award. Lisa Trognola from EBWW nominated me and I nominated you! Here are the rules: Head over to my blog and copy the Kreativ Blogger Award logo and place it one of your upcoming posts. Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
List 7 things about you that people might find interesting.
Nominate 7 other bloggers for their own Kreativ Blogger Award.
Leave a comment on the blogs you nominate to let them know about the award.

DarleneMAM May 3, 2012 at 2:00 pm

That’ll show’em!

Nadine Feldman May 3, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I have an alarm clock where a light gradually comes on, and then “birds” start singing. A few weeks ago, hubby thought the sounds he heard were coming from the alarm — but no, they were real birds!

Jay Schimke May 3, 2012 at 9:53 am

Good stuff (once again).
Here’s a ‘noisy bird story & more’ 4 you — a chapter from my book as ‘WELL’:
The Key is Harmony –

Melanie May 3, 2012 at 9:13 am

I love birds, but there are moments when a crow in a nearby tree has squawked for the 7,000 time that I am not so happy with the little feathered friends. Especially on a morning to sleep in.

Mikalee Byerman May 3, 2012 at 9:13 am

Ha! I just told my boyfriend yesterday (from a sleepy-foggy haze) that the birds outside our bedroom window need a “Snooze” button. Annoying. BUT SO PRETTY!

And I’m annoyed that I think they’re annoying.

;)

Paulita May 3, 2012 at 8:56 am

I’ll take birds over sirens, screaming babies and reved up car engines any day! Enjoy the silence ;-)