Best Mother’s Day Gift? Maybe Not, But Close.

by Nancy Wurtzel on May 9, 2012

As you read this post, I’m getting ready to drive to Minneapolis to pick up my darling daughter at the airport.  She just finished her freshman year in Boston and is headed back to Southern California for the summer.  However, she’s stopping in Minnesota to spend a week with me at Little House on the Prairie.

I’m over-the-moon we will get to spend Mother’s Day together.  Having her with me is the best possible gift.

Speaking of Mother’s Day gifts, I’m reposting from last year.  So, if you are new to Dating Dementia or in case you missed this when it originally ran last May, please take a read.  And, to women everywhere: Happy Mother’s Day.

Originally Posted on May 7, 2011

Over the years my daughter has given me an array of wonderful Mother’s Day gifts.  When she was little, they were all handmade items like sweet cards and pictures, decorated wooden boxes and hand-strung jewelry.  I’ve kept them all.  They are treasures beyond value and each one brings a smile and a cherished memory.

My former husband — referred to FH in this blog — also gave me many Mother’s Day gifts over the years.  Usually it was a gift certificate to a local spa or department store along with a card and flowers.  The gifts were always nice but I certainly wouldn’t describe them as inspired.

However, one Mother’s Day stood out among all the others.  I’m thinking it was probably about a decade ago.  There was the usual card, bouquet and a small bag that I thought contained the prerequisite gift certificate.  Yet, when I opened the bag I found a fancy note that told me my gift was waiting in the garage.  My heart skipped a beat.  A new car?

No, it wasn’t a new car.  It was car mats.

Don’t laugh.

These were not just your run-of-the-mill, off-the-shelf car mats.  These were luxury mats with embossed logos that perfectly matched the interior of my beloved Infiniti.  FH has gone to several stores and auto dealerships, but finding all of their mats inadequate, he had special ordered a set of expensive, custom mats just for me.  I was floored (sorry, couldn’t resist).

Since I was speechless, FH initially thought I was angry.

I wasn’t angry.  I was touched.  Touched that he had thought of something that I would really enjoy.  Touched that he planned weeks ahead and followed through, which was not his strength.

To this day, I can still recall the feeling of taking out the old mats and putting in the new set.  They looked great.  I felt great.  No, what I really felt was appreciated.  That’s what felt great.

1 CJ at Food Stories May 23, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I love reading your site so I’ve nominated you for the Illuminating Blogger Award for illuminating, informative blog content. You can check out the details at my site … http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award/ … Have a great day!

2 Nancy Wurtzel May 24, 2012 at 8:47 am

Wow! You made my day…thanks very much.

3 Aschatria Xyana May 14, 2012 at 7:18 am

I stopped trying with my mother, and if I remember correctly- I never asked for anything for myself on that day.
I am not against it either. I just don’t find it important.

4 joanna jenkins May 10, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Happy Mother’s Day and welcome home to your daughter!
Enjoy,
jj

5 Nancy Wurtzel May 11, 2012 at 5:41 am

Same to you, Joanna!

6 Anne Flournoy May 10, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Oh. Very touching. All of it.

They’re only guys, I try to remind myself. One year my husband gave me a new garbage can for the kitchen– it was the fancy kind with the foot pedal that flips up the heavy metal top. He’d put a bouquet of flowers in it. I was so angry I don’t remember what I did or said but he’s never made THAT mistake again.

On the other hand, when in Kindergarten, my eldest gave me a clothes pin with a few paint dabbed cotton balls on it and two twisted pipe cleaner ‘antennae’. As he offered it to me, breathlessly (he was very grave for some reason): “It’s a caterpillar memento. I hope you’ll treasure it ALways..” And I have.

Thanks for dredging up some great memories.

7 Nancy Wurtzel May 11, 2012 at 5:42 am

Love both stories! Thanks for sharing Anne!

8 Sue Smith May 10, 2012 at 7:32 am

Hi Nancy! I still have all the clay ashtrays and beaded necklaces that Derek made from kindergarten on!! And the memories of Us rollerblading from the pier down to Venice! Miss you! Hurry back.

9 Nancy Wurtzel May 10, 2012 at 7:33 am

Hi Sue, Can’t wait to see you this summer! All the best, N

10 Tammy May 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Sitting on my dresser is a square small box made out of popsicle sticks and painted gold. Of course, the gold spray paint is faded and chipping and renders a good view of the white glue that holds it all together. I keep in it some of my favorite jewelry. The box was made for me by my 6 year old daughter. She will be 27 this year and it is still my favorite Mother’s Day gift. Moms never forget, ever. And it takes so very little to make us happy for a lifetime. There you have it. Have a wonderful visit with your lovely daughter. Happy Mother’s Day to you, Nancy.

11 Nancy Wurtzel May 10, 2012 at 5:46 am

Just leaving for the airport to pick up my daughter…thank you so much, Tammy, for sharing this great comment. You made me cry…in a good way!

12 Your Daughter May 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

Oh, God, my gifts are feeling so inadequate right now…

13 Nancy Wurtzel May 9, 2012 at 10:23 am

Don’t feel that way…it really isn’t about the gift.