It’s Snowing, It’s Blowing, the Tax Man is Snoring…

by Nancy Wurtzel on March 5, 2013

Today is bad day.  It’s snowing and I can’t get out of my driveway.  My neighbor, who usually empties my driveway of snow, is in Mexico. He took his snow blower with him.  This makes me very sad.

What makes me even more sad is that I have to complete my tax planner today.  Thursday, I meet with my accountant and tomorrow I have plans with my Bestie.  Consequently, today is the day.  I can put it off no longer.

A girlfriend called me this morning and I told her in a lofty, superior voice, “Oh, I can’t talk long, I’m working on my taxes.”

This is a lie.  I have not yet started my taxes.

As a prime example of how I can continue to put off said taxes, I am instead writing this post.  I have other posts to pen for websites that publish my work.  I have been putting them off too, but they will have to wait.  Taxes come first.

Yes, taxes absolutely come first today.  That is, after I publish this post and share it on social media.  After I make breakfast and after one more cup of coffee.  After I get dressed.  After I sharpen my pencils and prepare a work space.  After I  find the perfect old movie on television (this could take a while).  After I have no more excuses.

Then, I will begin.

When I am finished compiling my taxes — before the sun sets — I have other fun tasks ahead of me.  There is laundry and taking out the trash.  However, the trash can’t go to the curb because of all the snow.  This means I’ll need to shovel my driveway.  Then, I will shovel the driveway of my neighbor who went to Mexico and took his snow blower.  He has a two-car garage, which makes for a wide driveway.  It is what we refer to as a “mixed blessing” in Minnesota.

I told you this was a bad day.

Now, leave me alone.  This is an order.  For crying out loud (as my father often said), I’m working on my taxes!

1 Judy March 14, 2013 at 9:46 am

I did mine last week and it was NO fun. Due to many hospitalizations and rehabs with Mom, I decided I was too busy to reconcile bank statements and threw hers and mine into files all YEAR. So for two days I did nothing but reconcile bank statements. My hubby’s and mine at BOA is only debit card receipts instead of checks like in Moms and our ANB account, so I had to sort 150 receipts per month on that account, get them in date order, go through them for business expenses (I’m a realtor) and you get the point, 3 days of that. But finally the end was in sight, I got them finished, ran the spreadsheets and got them to the accountant. What a relief that was!! I felt so energized afterward that I started a new painting and got my husband’s bathroom ceiling painted yesterday. Today I tackle the walls I textured pre-tax took me away. So I truly relate to postponement of the tax preparation event.

2 Ruth Perchard March 9, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Universal definition of doing your taxes: Spring Cleaning.

3 Nancy Wurtzel March 9, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Yes, I agree! Thanks for reading and for the comment…

4 Beverly Diehl March 6, 2013 at 9:38 am

Funny! For me, I can find time to do everything but filing. And scrubbing floors. And…

I always do my taxes before the end of January. Why? Because if I’m getting a refund, I want it NOW – and if I have to pay *sob* I need a head start on stealing aluminum cans from the local homeless guy. Or selling a kidney on eBay.

5 Nancy Wurtzel March 6, 2013 at 9:52 am

Don’t sell your kidney! Seriously, thank you for reading and for writing a comment.

6 Your Daughter March 5, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Oh my god this entire post is the perfect example of how I am your daughter even when no one else thinks so.

7 Nancy Wurtzel March 6, 2013 at 7:43 am

I’m sorry.

8 Kelly March 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm

It’s just like taking off a band aid – the faster you pull it off, the shorter the pain. Tied myself to my chair yesterday and everything is filled out, back up documents paper clipped tidily together, email out to broker for one last piece of information – TGIO (thank goodness it’s over). Good luck and may your receipts organize themselves without assistance!
Hugs to you,
Kelly

9 Nancy Wurtzel March 5, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Thanks for reading and for the comment. I’m having a glass of wine and singing out loud: “The Old Gray Mare, She Ain’t…” It will be interesting when I look at my tax planner tomorrow!

10 Anne (@notasupermom) March 5, 2013 at 10:12 am

Ugh, I’m putting this off, but I need to get it done.

Can you at least take a little break later and go outside to make a snow angel?

11 Nancy Wurtzel March 5, 2013 at 10:17 am

Anne, Oh! What a fabulous idea. Going now….

12 BloggerFather March 5, 2013 at 10:11 am

All the really cool kids do taxes in Mid April!

13 Nancy Wurtzel March 5, 2013 at 10:18 am

What!!??!!?? No one told me (of course). I feel so much better. Now I just have to convince my accountant….I’m sure I can do it!