Daylight Savings Time Makes Me Smile

by Nancy Wurtzel on March 7, 2013

This weekend, the Time Deciders have us “springing forward” early Sunday morning.  Daylight Savings Time goes into effect, which means we’ll turn our clocks ahead one hour.

Like most people, I’ll be a little bleary-eyed and confused since I’m missing an hour of sleep.  However, the happy reality of more light in the evening will finally hit me when I’m watching 60 Minutes — and it is still light outside!

Indeed, having more sunlight later in the day will be a joy, but that’s not the only part of Daylight Savings Time that makes me happy.  Daylight Savings Time is one of our few remaining shared human experiences.  It’s an event that most Americans  will mark.

Personally, I find it hugely comforting knowing that millions of people will all be scrambling around their homes (like me) moving the dials or buttons on their clocks.  Most of us will overlook at least one clock and perhaps a watch, or even two.  Some may forget the time change altogether and show up at church only to find they are just in time for the offering.  Others might be woken by an early morning phone call that wasn’t really early at all.

Daylight Savings Time will be news for a day or two and then we’ll quickly settle into the new routine…until those wacky Time Deciders have us falling back an hour in November.

But this Sunday, take a minute to reflect about our shared national experience of turning the clocks ahead.  Remember that we are all simply human beings trying to figure out what time it is.

1 Olya Thompson March 27, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Hmmm. The days are suddenly longer. The twilight comes later in the city. It is a magical time when it is no longer dark at the end of the work day, and one can see the sun set in the early evening.
It’s a kind of prelude to days that lengthen and nights that get shorter, of flowers that begin to blossom, of children that play outside in the slowly warming temepratures that begin to hint of spring.

2 Tommie March 11, 2013 at 11:07 am

Crank #2: I don’t like it at all so I don’t change my clocks. No worries–I still get to places when I’m supposed to.

Also, it isn’t ALL of the US. There are still some holdouts (besides me). Except for the Navajo Nation, Arizona stays on Mountain Standard Time. The whole state tried it once back in the ’60s and found it was of no benefit. There are other places that don’t “spring forward” and “fall back”, Hawaii being one of them. That makes it seem even more wonderful!

As for your title, it should be “Daylight Saving Time Makes Me Smile”, not Daylight SavingS. I’m not only a crank, I’m super picky.

3 Amy March 8, 2013 at 11:38 am

Thanks! I’ll be bleary-eyed, blank-faced, slack-jawed, and attached to my coffeepot.

4 Nancy Wurtzel March 8, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Coffee helps everything!!!!

5 Barb @ FL Mom's Blog March 8, 2013 at 11:38 am

Nancy,
I’ll be at work Saturday night, trying to cram 8 hours of into 7 hours during my shift as a nursing home nurse! No rest for the weary!!

6 Nancy Wurtzel March 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Oh, and you lose an hour — how do they work that on a time sheet. Never thought about that. Thank you for being a nurse– I have great admiration for the profession!

7 Amy March 8, 2013 at 10:04 am

Heh. Just because I’m a crank who doesn’t like the spring time change (I end up feeling jet-lagged, without the fun of an international trip), I’m going to point out that it’s only North America that changes this weekend. The rest change on Easter Sunday.

8 Nancy Wurtzel March 8, 2013 at 10:20 am

Hey Amy (Ms. Crank)…thank you for pointing this out. Will make adjustments to the post!

9 Nancy Wurtzel March 8, 2013 at 10:26 am

Changed the post to read correctly…thank you for pointing that out. Most appreciated! I will be thinking of you on Sunday morning…